My new children’s picture book, Lost in a Dark Forest, was finally sent to a publisher and I should receive a proof copy in a week. This is but a small step in the long process of writing, illustrating and publishing a book. Converting my files into PDF and emailing them was one of the last steps that started months ago when I began to write my story.
The idea for the story came from a friend of mine, who was caring for baby possums that fell off their mother’s back and were rescued. The story grew, after many revisions. Originally I titled it, Lost and Found, but decided on the present title as more appropriate. The main thrust of the story remained intact throughout the revision process. But I struggled with the illustrations and read and reread the story numerous times. Finally I changed the wording, put the story in the present tense and revised some of the sentence structure.
At times, I became sick of the whole process and had to put the story aside and work on other ideas. But alas, it is finally finished. Well, not finished. I still need to review the proof and see how the illustrations print. I know I have to fix at least one mistake I’ve noticed so far. There may be other mistakes or changes I’ll need to make as I look at the proof. I hope to have it out for sale soon.